I wasn’t sure if it was the fireplace or the house.

This year, due to the high cost of heating fuel, dad was using the fireplace to help heat the house.

  • I noticed there was another bizarre smell in the house.

It wasn’t entirely the smell of smoke, but of burning sugar. I told Dad about it as well as she said it was another seasoned house, as well as there were multiple bizarre aromas in it. I thought Dad had once again burnt something while cooking, but I was wrong. There were no burnt food remnants in the house, dad continued to use the fireplace to heat the house, even though she kept looking for the bizarre aroma. When I came into the home last week, I told them it smelled like something had died in the house. She looked for signs of dead mice, or other critters, but there was nothing. She finally called the HVAC company as well as told them about the fireplace as well as the smell of something dead. The HVAC professional told dad it could be some smell bugs had gotten into the air duct, as well as they had died when the oil furnace was running. That would cause a horrible stench in the house. My dad told him my associate and I hadn’t used the oil furnace because my associate and I could not afford to use it. She said she didn’t know, before dad hung up, the HVAC professional asked how she was heating the house. The HVAC professional asked if dad had the chimney cleaned before my associate and I started the fireplace. She said she hadn’t, but it had just been cleaned this summer. When the HVAC professional said my associate and I could have had a bee’s nest in the chimney, it all made sense. First the smell of burnt sugar, as well as then, care about something had died; added up to there being honey bees in the chimney.

air conditioning