He told me that if there was something clogging the chimney, it could be the reason the house was filling with smoke
I’m not sure what my husband did, but last week he was lighting the fireplace in the cabin, and the smoke was so thick you could get light to reach through. It was like walking outside on a pitch dark night, trying to light your way with a match. The air was white with smoke. I asked if he had opened the flue, and he yelled he knew how to start a fire, but I was doubting it. We had never had a problem with the fireplace before. I went outside because I couldn’t breathe well, where I opened all the windows from the outside. We never latched the windows because we were miles away from civilization. I left the door open to help air the house out, but my husband yelled at me. I didn’t know what he was yelling about, because he was already coughing from the smoke. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and called the HVAC company. I told them about the fireplace and the man who answered asked about the flue. I told him I had asked my husband, but he thought I was being a hindrance. He asked if anyone had cleaned the chimney. As far as I knew, the chimney hadn’t been cleaned in a couple of years, which is how long it had been since we had been to the cabin. He told me that if there was something clogging the chimney, it could be the reason the house was filling with smoke. He called the local chimney sweep for us, but he told me to tell my husband to open all the windows and doors and let the fire go out.